Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Peer editing online

When I was first told about the possibility of peer editing online I was really excited about it. Since I am going into a grade 7 class for my internship I am really excited to try new and different techniques to get the students excited about their work. Dean had mentioned a site called FanFiction, so I checked it out to see if it would be something that might be possible to get my students involved with. I thought this would be a great idea based on the idea that some students may not be excited to just write for themselves, you or their classmates. By posting it online they may look at their ELA writing as something with a little more importance (or at least that is my hope). Unfortunately on that site you have to be 13 or older to sign up. I tried looking at a few more sites: Fiction Alley, Fiction Press, and My fandoms, but all of these sites have a age 13 or older restriction. So the search continues to see if there is any public peer editing tool out there for students who are under 13.

1 comment:

Anne Davis said...

Hi Erin,

I made a post about a year ago requesting creators of social networking sites to remember the younger students. Here's the link to the post:
http://anne.teachesme.com/2006/08/18/a-request-for-creators-of-social-networking-sites/#comments

Meanwhile perhaps think about networking with another class and set up something similar on a wiki.

I enjoyed reading your blog and hope you will continue blogging. We need more voices in the mix!

Best,
Anne